Wednesday, June 14, 2006

An eye for the Broads....

Not a great deal to report on the allotment front this week as I was away for the weekend in Edinburgh. Before I left on Saturday morning though, I got up early to cycle down to RC about 7am, and chuck enough water about to last over the weekend. It was quickly apparent however that I was going to have to walk down, as some b*****d had broken into my garage overnight and nicked my mountain bike!

Anyway, when I returned on Tuesday, everything was still growing fine, and it looks as though someone has done some watering for me whilst I was away - Thanks Pete! It would have needed it too - It was around 30 degrees here all weekend apparently. Thank god it's rained hard yesterday and today.

I started to pick the broad beans whilst I was down there, and soon filled a black sack, which I then had to lug home again. They made a rather daunting pile on my lounge floor, and it took me the entire duration of Korea 'v' Togo to "shell" them all. In the end they 2/3rds filled my big stock pot.


During the tedium of France 'v' Switzerland I set some aside to make a cold bean salad with, then blanched the rest in batches, and bagged them up for freezing. In a few days, all the rest that I left on the plants as too small will also be ready.

I must get around to getting that second hand freezer!

6 Comments:

Blogger Rebsie Fairholm said...

Yum yum yum. You've made me want to make a midnight foray to the vegetable patch.

11:24 pm  
Blogger Frankie said...

I wish I could get enough to think about freezing some!

6:09 pm  
Blogger She Who Digs said...

Shame about your mountain bike. Someone had taken bolt cutters to the padlock on the gate to our allotment. Seems like nothing will stop others stealing what they want from others. How selfish!
SWD

12:49 pm  
Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Your title here reminded me about your girlie sunflowers. So how are they developing? I finally planted mine Saturday... about half new seeds & half collected over the years & all mixed together. Two pumpkin seedlings popped up today. Must step up slug patrol with the new bean & pumpkin growth. Talking about slugs, sorry about the bike! though.

5:22 am  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

Hi Petunia,
The first lot of sunflowers failed miserably, but the second lot, in peat pots, have flourished, and should go out at the weekend as soon as I have the soil ready. Pictures to follow.

10:38 am  
Blogger clodhopper said...

Produce looks great! Sorry about the bike....it's so annoying innit? Some oiks smashed our car window just the other day and for what?...a bag with Cathy's music teaching stuff in probably now floating down the canal. Pointless and expensive....sigh

6:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home