Thursday, July 06, 2006

Rumbled ................

Down to the site this morning “sans camera” unfortunately, to potter about a bit and sow a few seeds.

Having pulled the last of the Early Nantes carrots, I sowed another two rows, again in the salad bar, as well as some more radishes. Then after pruning the Triffids, and lifting a few more new potatoes, I decided it was time hoick out the late lamented broad beans, and dig over the soil ready for something else.

I had no sooner started, than Dennis arrived and began digging as well.

If there’s one thing I hate more than digging (well two things actually) it’s digging when it’s rock hard, and in competition with someone else.

Just as I was beginning to have had enough, Mrs. Dennis phoned, and he told her he would only be another hour and a half at most….. I wimped out at this point and started bagging up my sun-dried shallots with an air of great concentration.

Shortly after this a very nice, chatty, lady from “the far side” appeared and asked our advice on sweet corn. Hers are refusing to flower, and as a “newbie" she was concerned she might be doing something wrong. Dennis reckoned it was just a matter of time, so I agreed, nodded, and did my best to look sage. (Actually, having had a sneaky peak at Plot 48 since, I’m sure we’re right, as the offending plants look healthy and vigorous enough in all other respects.)

It was a this point however, that “the new girl” as I’m obliged to call her, - not having bothered with any introductions, - mentioned that she is a regular visitor to DFV, and was very complimentary about my plot and blog.

I haven’t really let on much about the blog to my fellow allotmenteers at RC, but I suppose it was just a matter of time before I was rumbled!

This raises the possibility though that her sweet corn may in fact never come to anything, and I shall be revealed as an ignoramus on my own website…… Naturally I did the only thing possible in the circumstances to guard against this, and bribed her with a bunch of carrots.

Rest assured however gentle reader, that I shall not let this new found fame go to my head…...Oh no!…..Certainly not!….....Not I !

3 Comments:

Blogger She Who Digs said...

Do I detect the possibility of the possibility of something blossoming, other than the sweetcorn?? You probably won't publish this as she would get to read it if you did!
Sorry for ribbing you but I'm going a little crazy with all the stress of organising my wedding in 10 days and my blog is my haven. SWD

2:40 pm  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

Doubt her husband would be too pleased somehow....

6:23 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is such a funny posting - I can just picture the situation.

Luckily none of the men on my site have a computer or know how to use one.

Just big tractors, and rorovators and things that make lots of noise and have exhausts.

keep up the good work

8:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home