Sunday, August 13, 2006

Airwave Adventures..........

Am just back from spending half-an-hour on air with the nice and incredibly learned folk at Radio Kent.

I was amongst some of their regular contributors both in the studio and on the phones chatting about allotments in general, how we all got started, our sheds, and also fielding listeners questions.

The latter - on subjects as diverse as growing unusual spanish peaches, to what types of brassicas to choose - I was very relieved to be able to leave to the professionals, although I was able to chip in with some advice on pruning back your Dill's Atlantic Giants. (As if I didn't know all about that after this year!)

I had great time, and hopefully it sounded OK !!

Just to prove I ain't blagging this blogging, here's a pic of me (on the left) with the show's presenter, the very lovely Sue Dougan, and the very knowledgeable horticutural expert Steve Bradley.

As for the experience of seeing what presenting a radio show is like, well "Multi -tasking" don't even come close!.....As well as chatting off air, cueing up callers on two or three screens on a huge presenting desk, linking with the control room, and calming nervous guests, Sue kept up a cheery and faultless delivery to the listeners all at the same time.

A bit like flying a fighter jet whilst chatting about veg, eh Sue?

Many thanks to the guys at Radio Kent for inviting me, and thoughtfully arranging it for a day when it was too wet to go to the allotment anyway.

4 Comments:

Blogger Frankie said...

Well done!!! Do they podcast it for the rest of the world to hear?

1:43 pm  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

Hi Frankie,

Alas no.

But I pleaded for a recording, as Mum & Dad live in Devon and couldn't here it, yet are desperate to know what I was up to.

If I get one, and can digitise it, I'll add it here,

After I've listtned to it again and checked that I don't come across as a complete t*sser that is.

6:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted earlier but it didn't show up. Glad that it all went well. I heard you loud and clear and wondered how many others in foreign lands heard Radio Kent !!! The wonders of technology eh. How was your 15 minutes of fame ? Still gloating ?

8:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Andy,

Just a note to say it was great to have you on the show. In today's post, I've put a copy of your contribution on CD and some spare packets of seeds to you - enjoy!

If you want to post so people can listen again, they should be able to click on bbc.co.uk/kent.

All the best and thanks for being a star.

Sue (sue.dougan@bbc.co.uk)

12:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home