Sunday, August 20, 2006

Natural Gold..........

These are the first of this year's cobs.

Well the first to make back home to my place long enough to be photographed that is. I did pick some the day before, but accidentally stopped at the pub on the way home and was relieved of them by eager friends!

I have no idea what the variety is, as the plants were obtained from Dennis's brother, "Charlie the Smallholder", and just came helpfully labelled as "Sweetcorn".



Very sensible too if you are a primarily a food producer. It's only us hobbyists that agonise pedantically over which strains to grow.

At any rate, they look like good cobs, considering it has been so dry, and there are plenty of them on the plants. The Tuxedo variety I planted myself later are also coming along and are about 2-3 weeks behind these I think.


And here are the fist of the "other" pumpkin crop.

Again, I don't know exactly what sort they are, as although I planted them myself, the packet just said "Pumpkin - F1 Hybrid" on it, and I can't remember where I bought it from.

You don't really get a sense of scale from this pic, but they are about as big around as a saucer, and would be about the right size for a "stuffed pumpkin for one". Not that I can see myself bothering with that though.

They look as though they will slice up into nice chunks for roasting, or maybe for just standing about in the kitchen... I think there are about a dozen of them on the plants in all.

9 Comments:

Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Now that is a crop to enjoy! I heard our local crops are in now so I'll stop & get some this week.

Hey, I think this other pumpkin is my volunteer plant. I used one as a decoration last fall and composted in the garden. How do you know when they are "done"?

7:28 pm  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

No idea how you know for certain PG...I just figured if they had stopped getting any bigger, and ahd changed colour that must be it. I've only picked 3 so far and will let the others continue to see what happens!

8:58 pm  
Blogger She Who Digs said...

I’m so jealous yours look very healthy & tasty!! Sweetcorn are my favourite and I’m disappointed I wasn’t able to cultivate any veg this year. Wyvale are selling all their seeds off at 25p a packet here, so I’ve stocked up for next year- worth a trip if you’ve got a local store!
SWD

12:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your mystery squash might be 'Winter Festival'. They look like a variety that I grew last year. They are good roasted, and quite potato-like. They look ripe, too.

3:03 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

You can pick a pumpkin at any stage I have found, and can use it as squash - which I do often - or let it ripen and store it over the winter to use during the winter months. You did right to leave the stem on it - otherwise they rot.

Sweetcorn is looking great too - my mouth watered just looking at the photos.

I didn't get around to growing any this year - I love it raw straight from the cob on a sunny day.

7:20 am  
Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

I'm posting a picture of my mystery pumpkin. It looks very similar but not quite the same shape as yours or Winter Festival. Did you eat yours yet? No matter what it is, I guess it won't hurt me to taste it!

11:31 pm  
Blogger Molly said...

In the US, those pumpkins are called 'sweet dumpling' squash. Use one per serving, cut the top off, scoop out the seeds and fill the cavity with some heavy cream and parmesan cheese, or some good pork sausage. Replace the lid and bake (350 F or so) for about an hour.

8:49 am  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

Thanks Molly....

That sounds like a good, easy to excute idea....(complicated receipes are not my strong point!)

The seed was definitely sold as "pumpkin" but the more I see the more it looks like a squash. Not sure what the difference actually is, or even if there is one.

9:28 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

lovely blog GM - your sweetcorn is very impressive, hope mine is as good.
mc

6:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home