Monday, August 07, 2006

Summer Daze..........

August seems to be the peak of productivity on our site.

Next month, things scale down, ground becomes bare and dare I say it, a bit "autumnal" looking. But for a few weeks the summer is still blazing, and providing a good excuse to snap a few more pictures.

Titchmarsh has now come into his own, frightening those pesky crows from "Dumbo" off of the corn, and the uncookable, artichokes are competing with the sunflowers for the bees.






















Raspberry Wars

I had the first few Allgold early autumn raspberries yesterday as you can see here. They were very sweet and juicy, but alas also very few in number, due to my foolish lack of care earlier in the summer, when I didn't realise they needed so much water in the first year in order to become established.

It looks as though they will keep coming one by one for a while, but the few spindly canes can't produce enough to do anything with, apart from wolf them down the moment the picture has been taken. The Galante are also about to fruit, but fewer canes survived of this variety so I'm not planning on making any big trifles!

Next year they'll be a lot stronger, but if Matt has a picture to prove his superiority in the fruit growing stakes, I'm prepared to concede defeat for now....(curses!)

5 Comments:

Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

There are those sunflowers! Nice job. How are the pub flowers now? While the volunteers in the my main garden are blooming, the planted one's along the fence in the pumpkin patch aren't yet. Sturdy stalks though. I'm hoping for an extended fall for these late planted sf & pumpkins.

I'll check out the video tomorrow at work for the full video effect on high speed internet. With the jumpiness of DSL at home, the first part I did watch reminds me too much of earthquakes! I can't wait to see it, though.

6:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Greenmatle!

I love your blog and wanted to contact you... I'm the producer of a gardening radio show for the BBC and wondered if we could feature you, your allotment and your blog on the show. If you're interested please let me know and I'll post a contact email. All the very best, Steve

11:53 am  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

Hi Steve.

Certainly!

I'd secretly like my "15 mins of fame" as much as the next bloke...send an e-mail address or a phone number as a comment here. (I won't publish it) and we can talk about it.

3:31 pm  
Blogger Greenmantle said...

Hi Petunia...Thanks. I got there in eventually!

The pub flowers didn't go to the pub in the end, as it became obvious no-one was going to look after them or water them, and I did not want to be lumbered with the job long term. I gave them away to other plot holders, who all scuttled off home with them.

3:28 PM

3:33 pm  
Blogger Peggy said...

I think I'll have to plant some artichokes now - just to watch the bees get drunk on the flowers when they bloom. They really go nuts for those, don't they?

6:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home