Saturday, September 16, 2006

Autumn Digging.......

I've been doing a bit of Autumn digging lately. In actual fact, this picture is over a week old as I meant to post it previously but never got round to it. I've since finished this section, limed it, and rotorvated it ready for planting.

Much as I usually hate digging, I have to say this time, on this part of the plot, it was almost a pleasure. Three seasons of previous careful turn over when I removed all the root weed I could find, a load of manure last year, and some assidous hoeing this year, mean that it is very clean, and pretty much weed free.

The texture of it is also good at the moment, very soft and friable. It broke so easily with a fork, it was rather like digging into dark sponge cake.

If I'm sounding overly pleased with myself, it's because I feel I've proved that it's quite easy to improve your soil if you are prepared to do it over a few seasons.

Although other parts of the plot are a year of so behind, and therefore heavier, this section bears very little resemblance now to the dense, clay bottomed, bind weed haven it was when I first started.

Satisfaction can come from some strange sources sometimes.....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally know what you mean. When you get good crops - and people are 'amazed' it is only because you put the effort into the soil - something that you really appreciate when you grow your own food.

Don'tyoujust get a warm glow of pride when it looks like that?

Mine never does quite as it is full of flint stones.

What a perfect site - I could just site there and look for ages

4:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home